Monday, August 20, 2012

film photos

I have been blessed with 80+ children on any given day, so long as it's a weekday.  This means, each day, I am greeted by tiny hugs from all walks of life, and am invited in to the captivating perspective that comes along with the ever-curious eyes of a child.  With these children, I am privileged to teach and be taught, create wonders, and problem-solve. 

Today marks the first day of the last week of summer camp.  It is slightly bittersweet, but even more, it is exciting.  In a weeks time I will spend my afternoons with an amazing group of pre-k to middle school aged kids, who I had the lucky "job" of caring for last school year.  

I say "job" because my job is not your average job, in fact, most days I do not feel like I am going to work, instead I feel like I am going to hang out with my friends.

Even on the bad days, even when the migraine hits and it's raining out and we're stuck inside with not enough space to get our "crazies" out, I am reminded why I am where I am.  It's simple enough: I love these kids.  I love their wild stories, love their optimism, even love their fears.  I love that they force me to think outside the box just by being.  And for that, I am endlessly thankful.

I made this blog to document the delight that I am lucky enough to encounter in my day to day.  In doing so, I hope to train my mind to look for the good and positive in the world, so that no matter what, no matter the bad, I can see the light that keeps shining.

Below are a few photographs I took of some magical kids last year. 



Sweet Mateo playing stratego, one of our school's favorite games.



Kelsey and Mateo playing together.


Nikolas posing for his momma.


Caroline coloring pictures.


Clay projects the kids created.


Kinsley, a wildling practicing for our talent show.  Her talent: balancing a quarter on her nose and being a laugh.


One of our middle schoolers, Anastasia, who came to the U.S. as a baby from Russia.


Rashaan, being shy and brave at the same time, singing "Thriller" for his group-mates.

No comments:

Post a Comment